Three Cheers for Gyros!
Okay, so my kids don’t really cheer for gyros. But wouldn’t it be awesome if they did? Imagine a table full of gyro supplies and as soon as the kids approach the table, they start cheering wildly. Maybe they’d even chant: Mom’s the best! Mom’s the best! Mom’s the best!
**Snaps back to reality**
Anyway, let’s just say this gyro meal is a crowd pleaser.
for the Gyros
– 1/2 lb gyro meat (we buy ours in the deli section of Hyvee)
– 2 boxes of couscous
– 1 bag of pita bread
for the dip
– 1 small carton of low fat sour cream
– 1 tsp dried dill (or chop some fresh stuff!)
– 1/2 cucumber, diced into small pieces
– juice from 1/2 of a lemon
for the salad
– 1 small carton of organic salad
– 1 container of feta cheese
– 1 can of black olives
– baby tomatoes
– Greek Vinaigrette dressing
- Heat the gyro meat in a skillet. No need to add oil or anything like that!
- While cooking the meat, make the couscous according to the package. It’ll be something like, boil water, add couscous and seasoning, and cover for 5 minutes. Skip adding oil or whatever else. It’s delicious without the extra fat and calories.
- For the dip, mix together sour cream, dill, lemon juice and chopped up cucumbers.
- To compile the gyros, add a large scoop of couscous to the bottom of the pita. Add a few slices of meat, and top with the sour cream dip.
- Toss together a salad of lettuce, feta cheese, black olives, croutons, baby tomatoes and greek vinaigrette dressing!
That’s it! A bonus with this meal is that there are lots of things that kids can help with, independently.