Cooking with The Up Beet Kitchen
It’s called the Up Beet Kitchen, and it’s a company that will send you fresh ingredients to your home, along with original recipes, AND (this is the awesome part) a set of videos that help you learn how to cook it!
On Monday, we made the Coconut Curry Noodle Bowl and it was DELISH. I loved that this recipe was simple to make, but intense in flavor. Up Beet Kitchen sent me the recipe, along with a super helpful video tutorial for this specific recipe.
In addition, it included a whole set of optional videos I could have needed while preparing the food:
- Understanding taste
- Understanding seasoning
- How to read a recipe
- Flavor Basing & Aromatics
… and many more!
The videos were short and really helpful. I consider myself a pretty decent cook, but I learned several things through these videos!
So, this is how the Up Beet Kitchen works:
1. Sign up for a monthly subscription. While most boxed meal plans like this cost $10-$15/serving, the meals in the Up Beet Kitchen range between $2 and $5/serving.
2. Choose what kind of dietary plan you and your family need: Omnivore, Vegan, Vegetarian, Gluten Free, Paleo, Pescetarian, Dairy Free, Cardiac, or Diabetic.
3. If you are within the delivery area, the ingredients come to your doorstep. Boom! If you aren’t, no worries, they will send you everything you need to make the meals (i.e. meal plan, ingredient list, videos on how to make the recipe) minus the actual food.
4. For every year subscription, Up Beet Kitchen gives a meal a week to a family on SNAP (government food assistance program), showing them how to prepare healthy home-cooked meals that will fit their SNAP food budget.
Here’s why I’m falling in love with Up Beet Kitchen:
They are not only providing healthy meal ideas at an incredible affordable cost, but they are also helping to equip parents (and families!) with the skills they need for life. Long after a year subscription of Up Beet Kitchen is over, parents and adults will have the skills they need to create their own recipes and cook healthfully without an extravagant food budget.
Also, that they give back to families on SNAP is awesome. Helping families learn how to cook affordable, healthy meals on a SNAP food budget is incredible (and, to be honest, a need that I’ve been thinking about trying to meet for awhile now).
The only thing is…
… they are still trying to get funded. So, head on over to Kickstarter and back this amazing company!