Applesauce Muffins with Veggies
The other day I sent muffins to school in my kids’ lunches. They are delicious pumpkin muffins and one of my family’s favorite. But, they are made with cake mix, and I got to thinking afterwards that maybe that wasn’t the best thing to put in their lunch boxes… at least not as a main course! I got this muffin recipe from 100 Days of Real Food and modified it a little by adding in some zucchini along with the carrots.
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp ginger
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup butter (softened)
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 3/4 cups carrot/zucchini shreds
- Preheat oven to 350 and either grease muffin tins or place liners in pan.
- Mix together flour, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, and salt.
- Mix butter, honey, egg, and vanilla with an electric beater. Add dry ingredients slowly. The batter will be very thick.
- Fold in applesauce and veggie shreds.
- Divide muffin batter between 12 muffins. Bake 22-24 minutes.
Now, feedback from the boys was mixed. One kid liked them and one kid didn’t. I thought they were good! My plan is to put them in the freezer and pull them out as needed.