Lemon Sponge Pie
I love lemon flavored desserts, so I fell in love with this lemon sponge pie when my mother-in-law first made it! It has such a light and creamy texture, but without all the pressure of getting a perfect top on a lemon meringue pie.
1 unbaked 9 inch pie crust
3 Tbsp softened butter
1 1/4 cups white sugar
4 egg yolks, beaten
3 Tbsp flour
1 pinch salt
1 1/4 cup milk
2 Tbsp lemon zest
1/3 cup lemon juice
4 egg whites
- Cream together butter and sugar.
- Mix in egg yolks, flour, salt, milk, lemon zest, and lemon juice.
- In a clean bowl with clean beaters, whip the egg whites until soft peaks form.
- Fold egg whites into the lemon mixture and pour into prepared pie crust.
- Bake at 375 for 15 minutes and then reduce heat to 300 and bake for 45 minutes, or until top is browned and toothpick comes out clean.
|My recipe came from here.|
When you slice it you’ll see a delicious lemon cream on the bottom of the pie and a lemony “spongy” layer on the top. The top of my pie got a little cracked but that doesn’t affect the way it tastes!