Two Summer Dishes to Share: Greek Pasta Salad & Watermelon Cake Balls
For the past few weeks, we’ve been sharing some easy, fun dishes to bring to a neighborhood BBQ or summer holiday potluck. This week I’m share two dishes because I couldn’t choose just one :). The first one is a delicious greek pasta salad that includes chunks of vegetables that are EASY to pick out– isn’t that one of the biggest problems of figuring out what to make? What can I make that everyone will like? The second is watermelon cake balls– an easy, but fun summer treat!
Greek Pasta Salad
Fresh Broccoli Florets
Yellow/Red/Orange Peppers (whatever you like)
Fresh Green Beans
Parmesan cheese (optional)
Feta cheese (optional)
Any brand of Greek salad dressing
1. Cook the pasta to done, but a little on the firm side.
2. Cut and add the broccoli florets, onion, and peppers. Think about keeping them pretty chunky so that people can pick out whatever they don’t like.
3. Blanche the snowpeas and green beans, and then add them to the pasta salad.
4. Add in a whole bottle of greek dressing. Shake and let it marinate for a couple hours.
5. Before serving, add black olives and parmesan and/or feta cheese. If the pasta salad seems a bit dry, add another 1/3-1/2 bottle of dressing.
Watermelon Cake Balls
Box of strawberry cake mix (including oil and eggs to make the cake)
1/2-3/4 can of vanilla iciing
mini chocolate chips (“watermelon seeds!”)
Wilton’s green candy melts
1. Make the cake according to the directions on the box. After the cake is finished cooking and has thoroughly cooled, break up the cake into small crumbs. You can do this by hand or in a food processor.
2. Place cake crumbs in a bowl, add 1/2-3/4 can of vanilla iciing, and then add about 1/2 cup of mini chocolate chips. Mix well.
3. With you hands, make the cake mixture into 1-2 inch balls. Place on a cookie sheet and place in the refrigerator overnight or a couple hours in the freezer.
4. When ready to dip the balls, melt the candy according to the package. I always add in a tablespoon or two of vegetable oil to make the balls easier to dip.
5. Dip the cake balls into the green candy, making the “rind”. Let it harden for a few minutes and you have yourself some delicious watermelon cake balls!