Homemade Yogurt

You may also like...

9 Responses

1. Kurt N. says:

I like using Fage as a starter culture, because it imparts a good flavor and a rich texture to the yogurt. Dannon All Natural is another good source of cultures. I heat the milk to 185 and then cool it to 120 before adding the starter.

For incubation, I put the inoculated milk into sterile glass jars and then put these into a cooler filled with hot water (120 degrees). I'll periodically check the water temp and add more hot water to keep the water bath temp between 100 and 120 for 24 hours.

2. Anonymous says:

I use Fage as a starter for my yogurt as it has no additives in it. I read a couple books on making cheese and yogurt and use a method I devised from what I read in them. I heat the milk in a Dutch oven to 185 degrees and keep it at that temperature for about 20 minutes, stirring the whole time, cool it down to 115 degrees (stirring as it cools) before adding in the starter. (Stirring prevents a skin from forming.) I usually use the all of the container of Fage. I preheat my oven to the lowest setting but turn it off when I put in my covered Dutch oven, wrapped in a terry cloth towel and placed on a cookie sheet, into the oven, but I leave the oven light on all the while the yogurt is in there, anywhere from 6 to 10 hours. (The process from heating to oven takes about an hour.) I agree there is a lot of whey (but less when you keep it at 185 longer than if you just heat it up to that temperature and then immediately cool it down). I use a slotted spoon to remove the majority of the yogurt from the Dutch oven with as little whey as possible, then line a colander with coffee filters and place it over a bowl, then pour the whey and remaining yogurt in there and let it drain. Once it's down to solids, I stir that into the rest of my yogurt. I immediately put aside about a half cup to use as a starter for my next batch. But I've found I can only do that for one or two more batches before I have to buy more Fage as a starter; the homemade yogurt starts tasting too tangy for my liking after that.

Once you've tasted homemade yogurt, the commercial stuff tastes like slime.

And yes, when I tell people I make my own yogurt, they think I'm a hippie or an Earth mother.

Rebecca

• Christina R says:

If making yogurt makes us hippies, then by golly, call me a hippie! But I never thought about stirring it as it cools to avoid the skin. Now if only I wasn't so distracted running after my two kids… 🙂

3. Miz Helen says:

I love making Yogurt, it just taste so much better. Thank you so much for sharing your delicious recipe with Full Plate Thursday.
    Have a great weekend!
    Miz Helen

4. Micah Odor says:

The more protein in the milk, the more the bacteria will multiply. We discovered that adding half a cup to a cup of dried milk (we don't measure it) really makes the yogurt thicker.

5. AL Tan says:

I have tried making the yogurt at home using the store bought commercial yogurt, 125ml of commercial store bought yogurt mix with 1 litre of milk makes about 1 litre++ yogurt. However the taste started to change when it goes to the fifth batch so I start all over again using new commercial yogurt.

1. March 12, 2016

[…] String cheese 2. Greek Yogurt 3. Boiled Egg 4. Scrambled Eggs + bit of finely shredded cheese 5. Cottage cheese 6. Any kind of […]