Eat: Vegetable Quiche
This was the quiche I was talking about.
Do you remember why I love it?
1. It freezes well.
2. I always have eggs.
3. It’s got vegetable in the name so it’s gotta be healthy.
4. I always bake in pairs (hello instant freezer dinner).
5. It’s really yummy! My picky 2 year old even eats it. Oh yeah!
|Want to get the scoop on the pie plate? Check this post out.|
Oh, and this is my very own recipe. Prepare yourself for a Play Eat Grow original. Boom goes the dynamite! 🙂
makes 2 9-inch pies
2 unbaked pie crusts
6 slices of bacon (omit for vegetarian option, substitute 3 tbl oil)
3 onions, sliced into half moons
10 oz frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed out
1 cup frozen corn, thawed and squeezed out a little
1 1/2 cups, divided, shredded cheese
10 grape tomatoes, sliced in half
1 1/2 cups milk
1 1/2 cups heavy cream
1 teaspoon dried thyme (or other dried herb)
salt to taste (I usually do about 2 tsp kosher)
pepper to taste (I usually do about 1/2 tsp fresh cracked)
1. In a skillet, cook the bacon until crispy. Remove the bacon and let drain on a paper towel. Once cool, crumble or chop into bite sized pieces. Keep the drippings in the pan. For vegetarian option, heat up 3 tablespoons of oil in a skillet.
2. Add the onions to the drippings (or oil), cooking on a low flame and covered, stirring often to get amber colored, caramelized onions. Turn off heat.
3. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Press the pie crusts into two pans.
4. Sprinkle the thawed and squeezed out spinach and bacon on the bottoms of the pies.
Followed by the corn and the onions.
Then sprinkle 1 cup of the cheese. Finally arrange the tomato halves on top. Make it look pretty.
5. In a large bowl, mix together the eggs, milk, cream, thyme, salt, and pepper.
6. Pour egg mixture evenly into the two pans. Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
7. Bake at 400 degrees F for 45 minutes or until golden brown and the middle is set (i.e. does not jiggle).
8. Allow to cool for about 10 minutes, then slice and eat!
If you want to freeze the second pie, wait until it is cool, then wrap securely in plastic wrap, and freeze whole. When you want to eat it, remove the plastic wrap and cover with aluminum foil. Put it in a 400 degree F oven from frozen and bake until warm all the way through, about 45 minutes to an hour. Eat and enjoy!