Play: Family Get-Together Fun
Cousins, aunts, uncles, grandparents, friends, neighbors….. ’tis the season for parties! If you’re looking for something to do that’s low set-up and intergenerational, here are some of our ideas:
Games are NOT out of the ordinary, but these are some that we really like. These are intergenerational- fun for all ages! No reading is required.
Far too often we are physically with each other, but don’t take the opportunity to ask each other questions and learn about one another. If it is awkward to just start asking questions in your family culture, here are a few tools that may be useful:
- do a puzzle (here are some that include both large and small pieces)
- build with legos. or knex.
- write a play! Older kids write, all kids get a part, and the parents get to watch! Jake’s cousins all did this every year at Christmas- what a fun tradition!
- cook something special- start a tradition of someone older sharing how to make a family recipe each year
- have a wii tournament. Wii is great for both young and old!
- go bowling
- build a snowman or igloo (this is for all our mid-west readers! :))
- play show and tell. each person brings something important to them and tells the rest of the family about it.